Did you know that you can WASH a boppy pillow? It’s true! In fact, you can even hand-wash a boppy pillow!
- Use a pillow cover with your Boppy pillow.
- Purchase a spare pillow cover or even two different pillows.
- Cover your pillow with a burp cloth or receiving blanket.
- Spot-clean when spills happen.
- Machine wash the boppy pillow when necessary, but at least once or twice a month. See the care tag for any specific instructions.
You probably didn’t know that you can wash boppy pillows because most people assume they’re made from 100% cotton.
But guess what? They’re not!
A lot of people love boppys. They’re soft, fluffy, and COMFY.
But do you know how to wash boppy pillows? And even if you do, will they dry properly?
Nursing pillows get dirty with spills and stains during use, so the pillow cover is a must. Despite the cover, the pillow itself needs to be washed from time to time.
I’ll share my top tips for washing boppies and drying them correctly.
You’ll never have to worry about ruining your boppy pillows again!
How to Wash a Boppy Pillow?
No matter how much you try, a boppy pillow will get stained and dirty.
It comes in contact with your little ones while playing, trying to learn to sit, enjoying their time, and feeding that would emit a foul smell if left unchecked.
Your boppy pillow could soak up spills; as a result, it will be very much unsanitary for both of you.
Hence, proper and routine cleaning of the boppy pillow is necessary to maintain its usable life and quality.
If left unchecked, it can initiate a myriad of diseases that are not pleasant for you or your toddler.
Devotedly follow this outline, and you can clean your boppy pillow pretty quickly.
Step 1 – Wash the Cover
Remove cover from your boppy pillow.
Check the care label for special instructions.
Zip up the cover. This will keep the zipper protected.
Choose a gentle setting with 85ºF (30ºC) that won’t damage the cover’s texture in the washing machine.
Wash separately or with burp cloths and receiving blankets (items you use to protect the boppy pillow).
You can use the same mild, scent-free detergent you use to wash your child’s clothes on the pillow.
If necessary, you can add a bit of non-chlorine bleach or baking soda to remove the odor.
Tumble dry low on a gentle cycle.
Cool iron as needed (one dot or lowest setting on your iron).
Step 2 – Wash the Pillow
Generally, all boppy pillows are machine washable.
Make sure, however, that the model you own can be machine washed by checking its care tag.
A front-loading washing machine is ideal for washing boppy pillows. It spins very gently and comes without the agitator.
With a top-loading washing machine, you can add another pillow to balance the load.
Select a delicate cycle with a temperature of 85ºF (30ºC). Wash separately.
If your boppy pillow does not support machine wash, you can simply hand wash it with warm water and a gentle detergent.
And if you wash it by hand, strictly avoid wringing, smacking, or twisting, as that will destroy the pillow’s texture.
Step 3 – Dry the Pillow
Once you’ve washed the pillow, you should focus on drying it. Don’t leave it soaking wet.
You can use a tumble dry with a delicate cycle to dry it properly.
Add drying balls to your dryer to help your pillow maintain its shape. Alternatively, you can put a tennis ball in a sock and put it into the dryer.
This ensures that the cushions stay in proper shape and can help get the moisture out of the pillow.
Do not iron the pillow.
Do not place the cover on before the Boppy and cover are fully dry.
Here you can find more information on how to dry your pillows.
Tips to Prevent Your Boppy Pillow From Getting Dirty
It does not matter whether you have a hand-washable or a machine-washable nursing pillow; protecting the pillow is very important in the first place.
Here are some quick tips that can help you prevent your pillow from getting dirty:
- Always use a pillow COVER with your Boppy pillow. You can easily toss the cover in the washing machine without soaking the whole cushion.
- Do purchase an extra pillow cover. One to use and another spare one. When one is on the washing machine, you can use the other.
- It is better to drape the cushion in a receiving blanket when using it. It helps prevent stains. Also, washing a receiving blanket is more effortless than washing a pillow cover or a cushion.
- Always spot-clean immediately when the spills happen. A clean paper towel or white cloth can be used to remove contaminants.
- Machine wash the pillow when needed, but at least once or twice every month. This helps in keeping the cushion odor-free and clean.
Quick Tips for Machine Washing Your Boppy Pillow
- It is vital to check whether the pillow is suitable for machine wash or requires hand wash. If it needs to be hand-washed, it should be hand washed only!
- When washing this pillow, consider using a scent-free, gentle detergent. Scented products may be harmful to your baby’s skin.
- You can give a cushion a second spin to remove excess moisture when drying.
- If the pillow gives out a foul smell, it can be due to spit, puke, or anything else. Add a tablespoon of baking soda to remove the odor. Baking soda tends to neutralize the smell on the pillow.
- If the pillow gives off a moldy, musty, or mildew smell, consider adding a cup of vinegar when washing the pillow.
Spot cleaning your boppy pillow regularly keeps it looking clean and prevents stubborn stains from forming.
It may also help prevent liquids from soaking into the pillow.
Also, if you discover that the pillow is unsuitable for machine washing, you can try spot cleaning.
For a quick clean, you can use baby wipes . Or just a paper towel or warm white towel.
For more in-depth spot cleaning, you can make a cleaning solution yourself:
- 2 cups of hot water
- A couple of drops of antibacterial essential oil. You should only use oil that is safe for infants. Note: essential oils are not recommended on babies younger than 3 months.
- A 1/4 cup of laundry soda .
Mix the ingredients in the spray bottle. Shake well, then spray over the stained area. Wipe clean with a warm towel.
Let it dry, and do not use the pillow before the scent fades.
But, if you have two boppy pillows, you can wash the one you’re using when it gets dirty from a big blowout during nursing.
That way, you don’t need to do any thorough spot cleaning.
Do You Have to Wash the Boppy Pillow Before Use?
As with any clothing or bedding, it is BEST to wash the cover before using it on your baby.
But should the pillow itself be washed before use?
We asked this question from the Customer Service of The Boppy Company. Here’s what they said:
“Unless you have a used Boppy product, or one purchased from an unauthorized retailer (like an Amazon marketplace reseller), both the cover and Boppy pillow are new, clean, and unused and do not require laundering.
If you prefer to do so, you can find care instructions on the long, silky tag attached to the pillow and cover“
Some people think you should ALWAYS wash new pillows before using them. New pillows may not be dirty, but they may contain some chemicals from the manufacturing process.
Many people think it is enough to take the pillow out of the package and let it BREATHE before using it.
Regarding baby products, some will wash everything that the baby will wear or touch that’s new.
You can wash a brand new boppy if you want to be on the safe side.
They should be washed on the delicate cycle and tumble-dried with a tennis ball to keep their shape.
Don’t be afraid to wash them. From baby spitting up to mom leaking breastmilk, nursing pillows can quickly become very dirty. You eventually have to clean those boppies many times.
What Material Is a Boppy Pillow Made Of?
Boppy pillows are filled with polyester fiberfill.
They are covered in 90% polyester / 10% cotton fabric.
The slipcovers are made from cotton blends.
The Bottom Line
Washing your boppy pillows and covers regularly on a washing machine keeps them fresh.
However, if you want to get rid of stains, you’ll need to spot clean daily.
But before you wash your boppy pillow or any other pillow, check if it can be machine washed or hand washed only!