Are you a new parent looking for ways to make your life easier? Have you heard of the Boppy pillow but aren’t sure what it is? Or how can it help you and your baby?
The Boppy pillow is a versatile and popular baby product that has been around for over 30 years. It can be used for breastfeeding, bottle-feeding, tummy time, and more.
Is It a Pillow?
- Boppy has changed the name of the product from a nursing pillow to a nursing support.
- That communicates better that the product is not intended for sleep.
- Newborns should always be put to sleep on a firm, flat surface free from any soft items.
- No nursing support should ever be used for sleep. They are designed as a place to put the baby while supervised and awake, not when at sleep.
In this article, we’ll look closer at the Boppy pillow, its features, and how it can benefit you and your little one.
Overview Of Boppy Pillow
The Boppy is a popular baby product that has been around since 1989. It’s a crescent-shaped pillow designed to provide support and comfort for babies and parents during feeding and playtime.
Boppy is machine washable for easy care. It is made of soft, hypoallergenic materials.
One of the unique features of the Boppy Pillow is its versatility. It can be used for breastfeeding, bottle feeding, tummy time, sitting support, and more.
The pillow is designed to fit around a parent’s waist, providing a comfortable place for the baby to rest while feeding.
Boppy is also available in various designs and colors, making it a popular baby shower gift.
History of the Boppy Pillow
The Boppy Pillow has a long history. It was invented in 1989 by Susan Brown, a mother and physical therapist from Colorado.
Brown designed the pillow to provide comfortable and supportive positioning for infants during feeding and playtime.
The Boppy Pillow was the world’s first nursing pillow and quickly became a staple in nurseries.
Since then, the Boppy Pillow has evolved into different designs and accessories and is now recognized as one of the most popular and trusted brands in baby products worldwide.
Boppy has changed the product’s name from nursing pillow to nursing support. In practical life, as in this article, the name Boppy pillow or nursing pillow is still used, but we mean the same kind of product, i.e., nursing support.
Benefits of a Boppy Pillow
Here are some of the benefits of using a Boppy pillow:
1. Comfort: The pillow is made of soft, plush fabric that provides a comfortable surface for both mother and baby. It’s perfect for long nursing sessions, as it helps to support your baby’s weight and prevent arm and back strain.
2. Versatility: Unique shape allows it to be used in various ways. It can be used for nursing, bottle-feeding, tummy time, propping up your baby, and even as a support pillow for pregnant women.
3. Support: It provides excellent support for your baby’s head, neck, and back during feeding sessions. It also helps keep your baby in the correct position for latching, making breastfeeding easier and more comfortable.
4. Bonding: Using a Boppy during feeding sessions can help to create a sense of closeness and bonding between mother and baby.
5. Convenience: It is lightweight and easy to transport, making it the perfect accessory for on-the-go moms. It’s also machine washable, so it’s easy to keep clean and hygienic.
In conclusion, Boppy is an essential accessory for new moms. It provides support, comfort, and versatility, making it a must-have for feeding and bonding with your baby.
Different Types of Boppy Pillows
Boppy Original Nursing Support is the most popular nursing pillow on the market. It’s versatile and can be used to cushion babies working on sitting, cradle a lounging baby, or as a tummy time prop. It’s fully machine washable and has a removable cover for easy cleaning.
- CREATED FOR COMFORT: Designed by a mom, this nursing pillow provides relief to your arms and back by lifting your baby to a more ergonomic position when breastfeeding, bottle feeding, and bonding
Boppy Anywhere Nursing Support is great for small living spaces, on-the-go, and breastfeeding moms recovering from a cesarean. It has a yoga-inspired fabric belt that holds the support in place and is designed to fit women of all sizes.
- NURSE COMFORTABLY ANYWHERE: Perfect for breastfeeding at home and on the go
Boppy Best Latch Nursing Support is designed for breastfeeding comfort and success. It has a wide, padded, adjustable belt, a large easy-close buckle, and added height and depth to provide ergonomic nursing support.
- DEVELOPED WITH A LACTATION CONSULTANT: Boppy worked with experts to set you up for nursing success by providing a comfortable, ergonomic fit for you and baby with two sides to help you on your nursing journey
It’s also two-sided, with a firm contoured foam side that helps position the baby for an easier latch while nursing and a plush side for cozy comfort.
Tips for Choosing a Boppy Pillow
When choosing a nursing pillow, it’s important to consider size and shape. You want to select a pillow that fits your torso so that your baby’s torso and head are positioned at the same height as your nipple.
You’ll also want to consider the shape of the pillow, as there are different options available. Some are shaped like the letter C and hug the front of your body, while others are shaped like the letter O and wrap entirely around your midsection.
You’ll also want to consider the ease of cleaning, as spills and spit-up are common during feeding times. Look for a nursing pillow with a removable cover that can be machine washed and dried for easy clean-up.
Safety Tips When Using a Boppy Pillow
Following some safety tips to prevent accidents is important when using nursing support. Here are some tips to keep in mind:
1. Always use a nursing pillow on a flat, stable surface like the floor or a bed.
2. Never leave your baby unattended, even briefly.
3. Keep your baby’s head supported and not covered by the pillow.
4. Do not use the nursing pillow as a sleep aid for your baby.
5. Always use the pillow according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
Nursing pillows should never be used for sleeping. For additional information and safety tips, go to firstcandle.org
What Is the Boppy Controversy?
The Boppy Newborn Lounger has been associated with eight infant deaths due to suffocation. These deaths occurred between December 2015 and June 2020, with infants reportedly suffocating after being placed on their backs, side, or stomach on the lounger and found on their side or stomach.
The company says the product was never marketed as an infant sleeping device. But it was clear that something needed to change to protect children from harm.
The Boppy Company conducted a recall of its Newborn Lounger in cooperation with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission to address the risk of infant suffocation.
The issue extends beyond just the Boppy brand to other manufacturers as well. The Consumer Product Safety Commission advises against allowing infants to sleep on nursing pillows or similar pillow-like products, regardless of the manufacturer.
Alternatives to the Boppy
Some alternatives to the Boppy pillow include the My Brest Friend nursing pillow, the Luna Lullaby Bosom Baby nursing pillow, and the Twin Z Pillow for nursing mothers of twins.
- PRIORITIZING SUPPORT – My Brest Friend Original Nursing Pillow is designed to maintain a healthy posture and alleviate strain in your back, arms, shoulders and neck, making it the ideal pillow for breastfeeding or bottle feeding.
- ERGONOMIC DESIGN – This baby nursing pillow for breastfeeding has a secure wrap-around design, supportive backrest and adjustable silent-release straps. It secures to the body and helps to promote an ideal position for latch & comfort for mom & baby.
- SAFEST PILLOW – MBF technology removes the gap between you & baby & provides a firm, flat cushion enabling baby to stay awake for feeding. Built with right angles, this pillow is made to support mom & baby in breastfeeding safely, not for sleeping.
A nursing pillow is not a necessity for nursing a baby. Some mothers may find a nursing pillow beneficial during the first few weeks, while others may find it causes the baby to be positioned too high.
Other options include using regular bed pillows or rolled-up towels for support during breastfeeding or bottle-feeding.
The Bottom Line
The Boppy Pillow is a versatile help for new parents and their little ones.
With its simple design and practical benefits, it’s no wonder why it’s become a must-have item for any nursery.